Taking part in Mama Kat's (pretty much World famous) Writer's Workshop.
My chosen prompt: 7 Things You Overheard This Week.
- We hosted an Oscar party last Sunday and my daughter was concerned that an open window was too chilly for my mother: Katie asked, "Grandma, are you cold?" My mom replied, "Oh Honey, I haven't been cold since 1986."
- My mom and dad, divorced for over 30 years, have remained friends throughout. Recent developments have made the parts we play in his life very significant and my mom has noticed a change in his attitude. Over lunch the other day my mom asked, "Ron, when did you get this appreciation for women?" He said, "When I got sick and needed help and all of my help was coming from women - smart, capable women. I can't believe it took me so long."
- "Katie. Katie. Katie. Katie. Katie. Katie." My 13 y/o daughter Lily trying to get her 16 y/o big sister's attention.
- While in a check-out line at my Grocery Outlet - "This woman was trying to balance her baby, maybe it was her grandchild, on the counter here. Right here! I'm checking her groceries and she's trying to balance a tiny baby on the counter! Now THAT was some crying, so your child? That's nothin' Don't worry". Cashier to customer.
- On the drive home after school with one of Lily's friends along for the ride - Friend: "Lily, where are you going to college?" Lily: "Japan." (Me, to myself: "What?!?")
Oh, that's only 5 things that I overheard. I'll listen better next time. Or is it eavesdrop? What an interesting term, "eavesdrop". I need to look up where that term came from. Eaves? I understand eaves to be parts of a roof that hang over your house. Aren't those eaves? So why would over-hearing a conversation be called eavesdropping? Hmmm. As my mom says - time to go look it up in my ol' Funk & Wagnalls!
Would you like to participate in Mama Kat's (pretty much World famous) Writer's Workshop? Come join us!
Have you overheard something interesting lately? ;->